2010-02-03

NYC Ponderings

NOTE: This post assumes you've already read NYC; so if you haven't yet, don't read this yet! And read NYC already!

While the story of Seven Days unfolds before us (all of us; me too... just a little ahead of all of you!), I have also been thinking of NYC a bit and some of the updates that I want/need to make. But I kind of don't want to disrupt progress on Seven Days to do them... hence my dilemma.

Some part of me thinks it would be distracting and confusing to you, the readers ...okay, and to me as well! (But it wouldn't, would it?!) Although sometimes it may be nice to take a break from the current story and focus on something else for a little bit... so I may go ahead and do them.

So, what to do then? Well, after some thinking on the matter, regardless of whether I do the updates or not (while writing Seven Days), I think I will postpone actually posting them online until after Seven Days is complete.

The whole idea of writing the entire saga (before seeking out getting it published and what-not) is to allow new ideas and concepts and sub-plots to happen (and the opportunity to implement them). In fact, I realized while writing chapter 1.02 that I hadn't really mentioned the Test later in the story (specifically in NYC); at least as far as my outline and summary are concerned. So I thought of a way to tie that in to NYC but don't want to post that bit just yet. (Sorry! And remember that I'm not Mean, I'm an Artist! It's just kind of a big reveal moment... you know what I'm talking about!)

Also, I have ideas for a few more plot points to address and include. Of course there is the political/world events stuff. But I have a few ideas on what happens earlier in the day and a false lead on Jill's whereabouts (after being kidnapped). The downside to all of these (including the reference to the Test) is that they aren't simply added like a piece that's missing. Rather, they are story elements that require adjusting to what is already there so it comes off as a cohesive story. And some of this adjusting will be more involved than others. (For example, the false lead directly affects 2 chapters, not counting any one referencing it later on. And the earlier happenings will be more of an "insert chapter" but the adjacent chapters will need a slight adjustment to make it all work.)

With that in mind, like I said before, I'll probably release all of the updates as a NYC: Draft #2 after I finish Seven Days (draft #1).

And look out for chapter 1.05 tomorrow morning with the wrap of Day 2 (which is shaping up to be the worst day of David's life; at least until that thing that happens at the end of Triumvirate).

No comments: