2009-04-15

The Duality of David & Wolf

This topic actually came from where I'm hosting the document (as anyone there can view the docs unless I make them private) but I didn't want to interfere with any from the blog viewing it. I thought it'd make a nice topic to discuss here.


Nicknames
In case you couldn't have guessed Wolf is a nickname for David. (Well, it certainly started out that way and it might be something more now. I'm not sure.) I want to save the specifics of the name for part 1 or 2, but I will say David was given the name in his time in the Marines. Nicknames can never be anything you come up with for yourself, they are always given to you by others. David never asked for a nickname, but Wolf was a cool one and he embraced it when he got it. Then, it kind of took off a bit into something more than a nickname. It is almost its own personality. I hope the difference in usage (from others) comes out but basically anyone who knows David from his past in the military or work in the city, know him as Wolf. Family, friends, etc know him as David.


Psychology
So Wolf is a different personality from David? You might think that David has a mental disorder. I certainly don't think he does. As I explain in the story, its similar to two sides to the same coin. Like a person who would show the various sides of themselves when they're at the office compared to out at a bar with friends. The distinction also shows the reader where his mind is (or where he thinks it needs to be; right or not). Hopefully it won't be confusing referring to the same person by two names, but it should also be clearer what his mind set is and where he is mentally.

No comments: