2009-04-07

Why so Tense?

There really hasn't been a lot of comments on this on the blog or where the story is being hosted (Scribd), but a few friends that have read it have made the comment so I thought I'd mention it here as well. Basically I'm mixing past and present. And there is a good reason for this. Up until today, I wasn't quite sure which tense I really wanted to use and so I used what ever felt natural for the section. Obviously not the best approach since it causes some confusion, to say the least.


Why is it even an issue at all?
To answer this question, I need to explain a little about NYC in relation to how it fits into The Wolf Saga. NYC takes place in August, 2034. But, in my envisioning of the story, it is actually being told/written by David (Wolf) after the events of The Eighth Day (part 8), which puts it in early 2040s (according to my notes). So it was a question of doing it past tense based on when David is writing compared to when it happened or that everything happens in the future for us (as readers) so make it all present.


The Decision
One of my friends who had commented on the tense suggested using present tense puts the reader into the action and the story more so that's what I'm going to do. Over the next few weeks, I'll try to work on updating previous chapters so its all the same.


This Week
The update this week will include chapter 4 & 5 and an update to ch. 2 and 3 (if I finish it). The ch. 2 update is very minor and is around where David is changing before leaving to meet Jill. The ch.3 update is one I've been thinking about a few weeks now. I was thinking the greeting between David and Jill should a bit more to it so I'm expanding that out a bit and including a situation that happened to me a few weeks ago and I knew I had to include it somewhere because its the kind of thing I would have never been able to think up out of no where. I'd talk about chapter 4 and 5 more, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Look for it Thursday.

No comments: