2009-05-10

Text NYC to 24713

Not a huge thing here but someone mentioned the clumsiness of texting and inquired why David would be doing it. And to someone who doesn't do it a lot (which describes this person), I can certainly see the issue. For example, I can't really see my Dad texting at all. (No offense, Dad.) He would rather just pick up the phone and talk to someone. Now, I'm not a huge text-er, but I do it a bit and it certainly has its uses. Often times, when talking on the phone, other things come up and then before you know it, you've been on for twenty minutes. A text message is a quick way to ask a quick question and get a quick response. The reason David does it in NYC is for that exact reason. Also, it's more efficient than the dialogue to accomplish the same thing.


For example, in chapter 2, Wolf texts Jim that he's ready. I didn't need a phone call for Jim to simply reply 'okay.' The text message without a response implies (hopefully) that it's something David and Jim have been through before and have already worked out so Jim doesn't need to respond unless there is an emergency. David knows that it'll take Jim a few minutes to do his thing and he's clear (unless Jim notifies him otherwise).


Perhaps in the future, I'll update this part of the story to include a type of 'evolution' of texting. Something that seems less clunky yet is just as easy to use and accomplishes the same goal. Any ideas what this might be? I have one but I'm curious what you guys think.


(I just made up the number in the title, so please don't text anything to it.)

No comments: